Tuesday, September 27, 2011

NEVER BEEN BIT by Lydia Dare


To get completely lost in a story, feel as though you know theelements - neverbeenbit characters, and want to be a part of their world to me says the writer has done a wonderful job.

Author Lydia Dare has done that with her Regency Vampyre series and the latest installment, NEVER BEEN BIT, is a great example.

The storyline moves along smoothly, placing the reader in Kent in 1817. While the language may take a bit of getting use to for those new to the series, it is an essential element of the story adding flavor.

Young Sorcha Ferguson is the only member of her coven that remains unmarried. Since meeting her first Lycan, the incorrigible witch has been determined to have a werewolf for a husband. She heads to the Duchess of Hythe’s house party in hopes of finding her very own Lycan.

Alex McQuarrie had come close to dying once and been brought back among the living as an undead, a vampyre. Nothing really matters to Alex anymore, his heart had already been scattered when his true love, Caitrin MacLeod, married Dashiel Thorpe, one of those beastly Lycans. Alex is surprised to see Sorcha at the Duchess’ party. He becomes determined that he’ll not let his childhood friend get mixed up with the likes of Lycans no matter what she thinks she wants.

The journey the pair take from there is filled with laughter, frustration (for them), and sizzling sparks. As the emotions they feel begin to grow and change, the reader is drawn further and further into their world wanting to help the pair connect.
 
NEVER BEEN BIT is an enjoyable read filled with romance, humor and the understanding that love is what matters regardless of the circumstances. Author Lydia Dare has created a world where witches, vampyres, werewolves and humans all live together in a seemingly plausible reality.

This is the third installment in the Regency Vampyre series, but is a stand alone read. There is enough background for those new to the series not to be lost when references are made while at the same time reminding returning fans of the fun adventures prior to this one.

Author Lydia Dare’s website is www.lydiadare.com

Never Been Bit by Lydia Dare, Sourcebooks Casablanca, @2011, ISBN: 978-1402245138, Paperback, 384 pages

FTC Full Disclosure - I requested this book and it was sent to me by the publisher in hopes I would review it. However, receiving the complimentary copy did not influence my review.

Do you enjoy books that sometimes takes you away from the norm and creates an intriguing world of make-believe?

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review. YES, I love a book out of my norm. It's fun and an escape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mason - Thanks for this review. It really is an interesting combination of paranormal and historical novel. Novels like that can really be effective escapes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all need to escape sometimes, I think. Great review.

    And thanks for stopping by yesterday and leaving this comment on my blog re: the memoir I'm ghost writing for my friend: "Very intense. You’re doing a great job. Pace yourself and keep up the wonderful work."

    Pacing IS important. It's the only way I'm going to maintain the energy I need to do this. Thanks for cheering me on! I appreciate all comments. They help me know if what I'm doing is working or not!
    Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must be cool with a character named Alex!
    And sorry Mason, I couldn't get your blog to pull up yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.