Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Guest Blogger, Ann Summerville

It’s my pleasure to welcome author Ann Summerville as the special guest blogger here today at Thoughts in Progress.

Ann is also a fellow blogger and can be found at her blog, Cozy in Texas. She is the author of A GRACEFUL DEATH and is here to answer a few questions about her writing. In addition, Ann will be giving away a copy of A GRACEFUL DEATH to one lucky visitors who comments on her post between now and 8 p.m. on Tuesday, June 29. The giveaway is open to U.S. residents only.

First a little background on Ann, she spent her childhood and early twenties in England before moving to California. Her short stories have been published in the Lutheran Digest, Long Story Short, The Shine Journal, Doorknobs & Bodypaint, Trinity Writer’s Workshop newsletters and also their collection of Christmas stories. A GRACEFUL DEATH was her first cozy mystery. She now lives in Texas with two dogs and an elusive cat.

Ann, when did you first start writing?

 
I remember winning first place in an elementary school writing competition and continued writing short stories, but it has only been the past few years that I have undertaken writing novels.

Is the Cornish town in A GRACEFUL DEATH fictitious?

 
I lived in Cornwall, on the southwest coast of England, for a number of years and combined several villages to make up the town. I would say that St. Agnes http://www.st-agnes.com/  is the closest comparison to Lowenna, the village in the book. Lowenna means joy in Cornish.

What are your goals when writing a novel?
 

To entertain and explore the complexities of relationships. Although my books all have a mystery element, the undercurrent brings out personalities and how people react to each other eventually forming a family of sorts.

How did you learn the craft of writing?
 

Each day I learn something new. The biggest influence was joining a writing group and attending writing conferences and workshops. I love reading and if I find a book I like, I study it, write a synopsis, and sometimes an outline to visualize the layout of the plot. My favorite book at the moment is Empire Falls by Richard Russo http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/authors/russo/ . I can see why it’s a Pulitzer price winner.

Will A GRACEFUL DEATH be part of a series?
 

My last book, STORMS & SECRETS, was located in Texas, but I loved the characters in A GRACEFUL DEATH and am currently working on a second book called “HIGH TIDE.”

What is your advice to new writers?
 

Enjoy the journey and in the words of Jeffery Deaver http://www.jefferydeaver.com/  “Review rejection as a speed bump, not a brick wall.”

Ann, thanks so much for guest blogging here today. Viewing rejection as a speed bump sounds like some very good advice.

For more information about Ann, be sure to check out her website www.annsummerville.com

Here’s a brief synopsis of A GRACEFUL DEATH: "
Giovanna Matthews has an acceptable life in London with her own flat, a good job, and recent engagement to the son of a Scottish landowner.  But not long after her engagement to Alan, news of Aunt Grace’s death hits Giovanna like a red double decker bus.  Ignoring Alan’s pleas to stay, she bundles her dog and suitcase into a rusty Volkswagen and drives to Aunt Grace’s cottage on the Cornish coast where Giovanna had spent childhood summers with her cousin.  Putting her aunt’s affairs in order is further complicated when Giovanna discovers the local constabulary has its own view on Aunt Grace’s demise - A view that Giovanna vows to challenge.  Unless she can discover how her aunt died and find her missing cousin quickly, she stands to lose both her inheritance and Alan."

Ann will be dropping back by during the day to answer any questions you might have and to respond to your comments. Plus, remember to leave a comment in order to enter the giveaway.


23 comments:

  1. Thanks Mason and thanks Ann. It was interesting reading Ann's goal when writing a novel. It is the character reactions and relationships that draw me to stories and I really liked her focus on this.
    Thanks so much for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mason and Ann! I love the setting for "Graceful Death"--and the set up for the murder (was it murder? Old age?) The missing cousin adds an interesting component, too.

    Best of luck with writing "High Tide."

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great interview, Mason.

    Ann, you have given me food for thought as a writer. I appreciate it.

    A Graceful Death is a wonderful title. I will put it on my list to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comments. I'm very fortunate to have encouraging writing friends who are sharing the journey with me.
    Ann
    Ann Summerville
    Cozy In Texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann, thanks so much for stopping by today and sharing your writing with us. It's always interesting to see how writer get to where they are.

    Hi all, thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. It's always interesting to hear about other writers and their writing. I like that you enjoy exploring the complexities of relationships in your novels. I think that is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this interesting post and love the locale you selected for this novel. It sounds compelling and unique. thanks for this glimpse into your work. rojosho(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed my time living in Cornwall with it's quaint villages and rugged coastline. For some more glimpses into life in Cornwall take a look at the English series Doc Martin - it's available on Netflix.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful interview. I've been hitting a lot of speedbumps lately. I'm hoping to find the highway soon.

    Carol in Texas, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great interview. I love the photo on the cover of her current book.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything set in Cornwall has to be worth reading - it's a gorgeous part of the world - and the story sound brilliant, too. Thanks, Mason and Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to be sitting on the Cornish coast right now instead of melting in the Texas heat.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ann,
    I'm a big fan of cozy mysteries and I also enjoy series. It's so fun when an auhtor loves the characters and brings them back for more. I look forward to reading A GRACEFUL DEATH.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love cozy mysteries--I think they're my favorites!

    This one sounds good. Great picture on the cover, too, though you can't tell a book by it's cover, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the speed-bump analogy and writing ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Entertaining guest blog and a nice flow to the Q&A. Cozy mysteries are a fun niche and it sounds as if Ann has captured the flavor with setting and characters. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the speedbump line :)

    I like to hear authors say their books are about the characters and their relationships. Those are the kind I like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Mason for hosting today and thanks to everyone who stopped by.
    Ann

    Ann Summerville
    Cozy In Texas

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed the interview! I always like to find new cozy mysteries and the Cornish coast sounds like a great locale!
    JHolden955(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  20. would enjoy reading this novel...thanks for the chance :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed the interview and meeting another Texas Author. The book sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck with the novel, as well as your future writing, Ann!

    All the best,
    Corra

    The Victorian Heroine

    ReplyDelete
  23. Writing a good whodunit and explore the complexity of relationships -- what a great recipe for a winning series. Good luck with it, Ann.

    Pat Batta

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post. Thanks for dropping by.